Dr. Motamedi’s clinical research focuses on seizure onset localization, and optimizing the stimulation parameters during cortical stimulation for brain mapping purposes in patients undergoing epilepsy surgery. His research also evaluates the changes in the autonomic system associated with seizures, the role of EEG in clinical conditions such as psychosis, studying different types of EEG discharges and their clinical correlations, comparing the efficacy of monotherapy and polytherapy in patients with epilepsy. Another clinical research project in collaboration with collaborators at Georgetown and other centers involves testing a new type of EEG electrode that may improve the accuracy of EEG in detecting seizure discharges. The possibility of diagnosing presymptomatic autistic children, and to recognize seizure onset in advance in patients with epilepsy, is being explored through quantification of subtle changes in EEG phase synchrony in the developing brain. Dr. Motamedi is also studying the role of high frequency oscillations (HFOs) in epilepsy and cognitive processing; this work is done in collaboration with Dr. Medvedev.
Dr. Motamedi’s basic research includes experimenting in animal models of epilepsy to evaluate the mechanisms of action, and the effects of hypothermia in seizures as a possible treatment in the near future. This research is conducted at Professor Stefano Vicini’s lab at Georgetown. Also, studying Sleep disorders and insomnia has led to preliminary work on exploring brain stimulation as a potential treatment for insomnia in collaboration with Professor Wu’s lab at Georgetown.
Studying Sleep disorders and insomnia has led to preliminary work on exploring brain stimulation as a potential treatment for insomnia.
Principal Investigator: Gholam Motamedi, MD
- April Moore, RN (Epilepsy Nurse)
Research is also done by a dedicated group of Georgetown Residents and Medical students
Stefano Vicini, PhD
Georgetown University, Department of Pharmacology & Physiology
Michael Rogawski, MD, PhD
UC Davis, California, Chair, Department of Neurology
Ronald Lesser, MD
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Department of Neurology
Kimford Meador, MD
Emory University, Department of Neurology
Jian-young Wu, PhD
Georgetown University, Department of Neuroscience
Yong Won Cho, MD, PhD
Keimyung University, Taegu, Republic of Korea
Andrei Medvedev, PhD
Georgetown University, Department of Neurology
Kenta Takagaki, MD, PhD
Humboldt Foundation Fellow; Leibniz Institute for Neurobiology, Germany
Richard Morrissey, MD
Georgetown University Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine, Cardiology
Steven Epstein, MD
Georgetown University Hospital, Department of Psychiatry
Nawar Shara, PhD
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, MedStar Health Research Institute
Gholam Motamedi, MD
Professor, Department of Neurology
Georgetown University Hospital PHC 7
3800 Reservoir Rd, NW 7PHC
Washington, DC 20007
- Kim KT, Cho, M.D YW, Kim DE, M.D, Hwang SH, Song ML, Motamedi GK. Two Subtypes of Positional Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Supine-predominant and Supine-isolated OSA. J of Clinical Sleep Medicine. In Review.
- Motamedi GK, Wheeler MG. Daily episodes of confusion altered behavior • chronic sleep deprivation • Dx? J Fam Pract. 2015 Feb;64(2):92-6.
- Takagaki K, Morales MK, Vitantonio D, Berkowitz F, Bell WL, Kumar PN, Motamedi GK. Periodic lateralized epileptiform discharges (PLEDs) in patients with neurosyphilis and HIV infection. Clin EEG Neurosci. 2014 Oct 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Takagaki K, Russell J, Lippert MT, Motamedi GK. Interhemispheric delay of alpha phase in autistic children. Clinical Neurophysiology. 2014 May 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Motamedi GK, Lesser RP, Vicini S. “Therapeutic brain hypothermia, its mechanisms of action, and its prospects as a treatment for epilepsy. (new window)” Epilepsia. 2013 Jun;54(6):959-70.
- Vallabhaneni M, Baltassari L, Scribner JT, Cho YW, Motamedi GK. Wicket Spikes in Patients Undergoing Long-term Video-EEG Monitoring. Seizure, The European Journal of Epilepsy, 22 (2013) 14–19.
- Anyanwu C, Ghavami F, Schuelein M, Motamedi GK. “Ethosuximide induced conversion of typical childhood absence to Rolandic spikes.” Journal of Child Neurology (In Press) (2012).
- Anyanwu C, Motamedi GK. “Management of pediatric refractory epilepsy.” Journal of Pediatric Epilepsy (In Press) (2012).
- Motamedi GK, Gonzalez-sulser A, Dzakpasu R, Vicini S. “Cellular mechanisms of desynchronizing effects of hypothermia in an in vitro epilepsy model.” Neurotherapeutics 9.1 (2012): 199-209.
- Enkiri SA, Ghavami F, Anyanwu C, Eldadah Z, Morrissey RL, Motamedi GK. “New onset left frontal lobe seizure presenting with ictal asystole .” Seizure 20.10 (2011): 817-9.
- Gonzalez-Sulser A, Wang J, Motamedi GK, Avoli M, Vicini S, Dzakpasu R. “The 4-aminopyridine in vitro epilepsy model analyzed with a perforated multi-electrode array.” Neuropharmacology 60.7-8 (2011): 1142-53.
- Cho YW, Kim DH, Motamedi GK. “The effect of levetiracetam monotherapy on subjective sleep quality and objective sleep parameters in patients with epilepsy: Compared with the effect of carbamazepine-CR monotherapy.” Seizure 20.4 (2011): 336-9.
- Ghosh P, Motamedi G, MD, Osborne B, Mora CA. “Reversible Blindness: Simple Partial Seizures Presenting as Ictal and Postictal Hemianopsia.” Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology 30.3 (2010): 272-5.
- Cho YW, Yi SD, Motamedi GK. “Frontal Lobe Epilepsy May Present as Myoclonic Seizure.” Epilepsy & Behavior 17.4 (2010): 561-564.
- Slezicki KI, Cho YW, Brock MS, Pfeiffer M, McVearry K, Tractenberg RE, Motamedi GK. “Incidence of atypical handedness in epilepsy and its association with clinical factors.” Epilepsy & Behavior 16.2 (2009): 330-4.
- Cho YW, Yi SD, Lim JG, Kim DK, Motamedi GK. “Autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy and mild memory impairment associated with CHRNB2 mutation I312M in the neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR).” Epilepsy & Behavior. 13.2 (2008): 361-5.
- Meador KJ, Gevins A, Loring DW, McEvoy LK, Ray PG, Smith ME, Motamedi GK, Evans BM. “Neuropsychological and Neurophysiological Effects of Carbamazepine and Levetiracetam.” Neurology 69 (2007): 2076-84.
- Towfigh A, Mostofi N, Motamedi GK. “Post-stroke partial seizures presenting as hemifacial spasm.” Mov Disord. 22.13 (2007): 1981-2.
- Motamedi GK, Okunola O, Kalhorn CG, Mostofi N, Mizuno Matsumoto Y, Cho YW, Meador KJ. “Afterdischarges during cortical Stimulation at different frequencies and intensities.” Epilepsy Res. 77 (2007): 65-69.
- Ortinski PI, Turner JR, Barberis A, Motamedi G, Yasuda RP, Wolfe BB, Kellar KJ, Vicini S. “Deletion of the GABA(A) receptor alpha1 subunit increases tonic GABA(A) receptor current: a role for GABA uptake transporters.” J Neurosci. 26.36 (2006): 9323-31.
- Motamedi GK, Salazar P, Smith EL, Lesser RP, Webber WR, Ortinski PI, Vicini S, Rogawski MA. “Terrmination of epileptiform activity by cooling in rat hippocampal slice epilepsy models.” Epilepsy Res. 70.2-3 (2006): 200-10.
- Motamedi GK, Meador KJ. “Antiepileptic Drugs and Neurodevelopment.” Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 6.4 (2006): 341-6.
- Mizuno-Matsumoto Y, Motamedi GK, Webber WRS, Ishii R, Ukai S, Kaishima T, Shinosaki K, Lesser RP. “Wavelet-crosscorrelation analysis of electrocorticography recordings from epilepsy.” International Congress Series 1278 (2005): 411–414.
- Motamedi G, Meador K. “Epilepsy and cognition.” Epilepsy & Behavior 4 .Sup 2 (2003): 25-38.
- Cho YW, Motamedi GK, Laufenberg I, Sohn SI, Lim JG, Lee H, Yi SD, Lee H, Kim DK, Reba R, Gaillard WD, Theodore WH, Lesser RP, Steinlein OK. “A Korean Kindred with Autosomal Dominant Nocturnal Frontal Lobe Epilepsy and Mental Retardation.” Arch Neurol 60 (2003): 1625-1632.
- Mizuno-Matsumoto Y, Motamedi GK, Webber WRS, Ukai S, Date S, Kaishima T, Takeda M, Shimojo S, Inoue T, Lesser RP. “Effectiveness of brief bursts of pulse stimulation to terminate afterdischarges.” “Rinsyou Nouha” Japanese Clinical Electroencephalography 45.12 (2003): 773-777.
- Motamedi GK, Lesser RP. “Autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy.” Adv Neurol 89 (2002): 463-73.
- Motamedi GK, Lesser RP, Miglioretti DL, Mizuno-Matsumoto Y, Gordon B, Webber WRS, Jackson DC, Sepkuty JP, Crone NC. “Optimizing parameters for terminating afterdischarges with electrical stimulation of the cortex.” Epilepsia 43.8 (2002): 836-46.
- Mizuno-Matsumoto Y, Motamedi GK, Webber WR, Lesser RP. “Wavelet-crosscorrelation analysis can help predict whether bursts of pulse stimulation will terminate afterdischarges.” Clin Neurophysiol 113.1 (2002): 33-42.
Articles in books
- Motamedi GK, Lesser RP. “Familial and Sporadic Nocturnal Frontal Lobe Epilepsy (NFLE) – Electroclinical Features.” Epilepsy: The Intersection of Neurosciences, Biology, Mathematics, Engineering and Physics. Ed. Osorio I, Zaveri HP, Frei MG, Arthurs S. : CRC Press, 2011: 445-50
- Motamedi GK, Meador KJ. “Cognition.” Behavioral Aspects of Epilepsy: From Bench to Bedside. Ed. Schachter SC, Holmes GL, Kasteleijn-Nolst TD. New York, NY: Demos Medical Publishing, 2007.
- Motamedi GK, Lesser RP. “Prospects for developing electrical stimulation of the cortex for treatment of intractable seizures.” Epilepsy Surgery. Principles and Controversies. Ed. John W. Miller and Daniel L. Silbergeld. New York, NY: Taylor & Francis